Sunday, November 21, 2010

Being Fair to Joshua Livestro

A friend whose judgment I respect – and who knows a lot about European public policy – writes to endorse Joshua Livestro’s ability: “he’s a pretty well-qualified guy, quite well-known in European policy circles.” So let me reiterate what I said in my prior blog post on this subject: I meant no disparagement or disrespect to Livestro personally when I wondered why Palin did not hire an economist or an expert on public finance to advise her on the European debt crisis. As a leading presidential candidate, she has access to the world’s most highly qualified advice on every subject.

I don’t deny the value of policy generalists: smart people who can help a candidate assess advice, both in terms of its merits and in terms of that advice’s consistency with the candidate’s own values. I’m a policy generalist myself. But a good policy generalist knows better than anyone the difference between being well-informed – and being truly expert.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment